Saturday, February 3, 2018

Mystery Quilt - Block 2

I've uploaded a file with instructions for Block #2 (or Clue #2) for my Friendship Garden Mystery Quilt on my website and in my small quilt groups. All you do is add a border around your first block. Easy.


Then, if you feel like doing more, cut 20 squares that measure 3 1/4" x  3 1/4". We'll use these in a later step as we put the quilt together in the coming months. Make sure you put them in a safe place so you can find them when it's time. (But. don't be crazy mad like me and put them in a place so safe you lose them for 2 years . . . .)


Choose a nice assortment of prints in various colors and values if you are making the scrappy version. 

This week I found a small scrap of this pretty blue and red fabric and decided I couldn't bear to cut it up - I needed to use it to make a doll quilt from the alternate star block I gave you last month for the Mystery Quilt. You may choose to make a star for the center if you are not comfortable with applique. See directions for Alternate Block #1. 



Also, the small quilt challenge we'll be making for February is my Windowpane quilt on page 38 of Small & Scrappy.


I love this scrappy little quilt so much. It was inspired by some vintage blocks I found online. The colors were rather dull in the original but still pretty. I made mine in similar colors but added more blue and pops of pink to brighten it up. I'm hoping some of you make this quilt in red or pink for Valentine's Day. 

It's still cold here in Chicago and the lagoon at the Chicago Botanic Garden is frozen over. But it's still pretty to walk around, even if there's no snow.  





When I've had a few minutes, I've been working on some 6" nine-patch blocks for a lap quilt. That light print will be used for my setting blocks. Nothing fancy. Just wanted to use some of my favorite fabrics to make a quilt I can cuddle up under as I watch TV. This one is for ME. 


I work with small blocks so often, it feels weird to make 6" blocks. They seem so BIG. Might be a trend though : )  I sure wish I had made some of my small quilts in larger sizes. 




Of course, something tells me I'm going to have to share my blankie with the dog when it's finished. I don't mind a bit. Who's a pretty girl now that she's had a bath and a haircut?? 

Have a good weekend!







4 comments:

Radka said...

Lovely block :-)
xx

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I am having fun once again working with this era of fabrics--haven't worked with them for about 3 years-- I tried to find one of the smaller groups to show you my finishes--but had trouble finding one I could connect to--I do not do facebook or such--so if you want to look mine up---the mystery block is on my Jan 11th post and my finish for the Crows feet is on my last one Feb 1st--I did my crow's feet in blues as I also do the 'color' of the month--this month our color is purple--so not sure what color I will the small quilt it--
Thanks--
enjoy, di

Granny's Button Box said...

Lovely block, so pretty. Your ditsy print fabrics are perfect, just love the colours. Thanks for the inspiration, Sharon x

quiltgrannie said...

Kathy, I know what you mean about the 6" blocks seeming so big. It's so weird when I start making bigger blocks, then I start thing am I crazy for making everything so small?

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails