Sunday, September 15, 2013

Nature's Gift

I love the rain. We haven't had enough of it this summer. I woke up this morning to the sound of a soft, gentle rain tap tapping against the window and my heart lifted up just a little.
 
 
Don't get me wrong, I love the sun. But sunny days often make me feel pressured, unlike rainy days.  When it rains, I feel justified sitting inside reading or sewing or just doing nothing. I believe it stems back from my childhood when, if the day was bright and sunny, my mom would nag me to "go outside and play, get some exercise - it's a beautiful day! Why waste it sitting inside reading?" Hah! Since when is reading ever wasting my time, I thought. But during summer vacation from a long stressful school year  there were so many days where all I wanted to do was read or be quiet, not go out and play in the hot sun even if it was good for me as my mother believed. I'm still like this.

 
Rain places no such expectations upon us. Rain gives me permission to stay inside and be quiet if I want to and reflect, not necessarily be DOING something. If it's raining, it's okay to curl up with a quilt and a cup of tea and read a good book.
 
 

 

 
"Anyone who thinks that sunshine is true happiness has never walked in the  rain. . . . " With a dog, I might add.
 
Life gets busy and hectic for all of us at times. I found a great App for my phone for when I feel like I'm spinning my wheels a little too much and need to slow down a bit and take a breath - Simply Being - a meditation App that you can set for a few minutes or more (up to 20 actually). You can get it for all types of phones or your ipod. One of the options is to relax and listen to nature sounds instead of calming music. I always keep mine set on Rain (of course I do). Just listening to the quiet sounds of rain refreshes my spirit.
 
 
 
                                      
 
It's my birthday month and more often than not, for as long as I can remember, it has rained on my birthday. I like to consider it Nature's special gift to me and have learned to be grateful for it. Slow down, life is good, take a breath, you made it through another year. . . .
                    
 

 
 

17 comments:

Kathy MacKie said...

You just put into words what I also feel about the rain and the coming of cooler months. September is also my birth month so maybe there really is something to our shared feeling.

Geoff's Mom said...

I'm with you... rain makes me feel calm and I want to sew and read. Love reading your blog!

Mary said...

If you really really like rain, you should move here - near Portland OR. It's rarely a storm, more of a gentle rain. And we have a lot of quilt shops so I think you'd like it.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Thanks for sharing your rain. I haven't seen any in a very long time.

Heartsdesire said...

We've had a very dry summer here in the Pacific North West (Vancouver Island), and when it rained a few days ago, it was wonderful. Everything smells so earthy, and things start to green up a little. The lawns this year were so brown. I agree, it is very calming to listen to the rain while curled up with a good book. Ask me in a months time if I still feel the same way, as once the rains start in earnest here, it can get rather depressing.

Ann in PA said...

Just reading that delightful post about rain was calming. I too love the rain (and snow) for the same reason...a blessing of quiet time to snuggle up with a book or sit and sew.

Beardie Mom said...

Me too!!! I like the smell of it -- it washed away all the fire pit burning smell in the neighborhood from last night. And I have a quilt to bind ;o] perfect . . .

http://thankfullga447 said...

Thank you for the rain photos, we need rain here and it rained last night. I had the window open and it was bliss. Thanks for info on the app.

Merilyn said...

I have to agree about the rain!! It does give one permission to just relax a little and take time to reflect.....
We've had a very dry winter and now we are heading into summer quite early, lots of fuel on the ground and already we have seen bushfires....it's overcaste today and we are expecting some rain over the next 48hrs.

Joyce Carter said...

Hi Kathleen.I loved your post tonight. There is nothing like the rain. Everything seems very calm and soothing after a rain storm. There is a clean, fresh smell in the air. I love the rain. I get to read and sew when it rains. But I am so happy it is raining on your side of the states right now. It rained here in the South every day for almost a month. Our lakes had gone down, but now, they are overflowing. There was so much water in our yard, the ground was really mushy-no where for it to go. I love the rain, but please keep it out there for a while.lol

Anonymous said...

I love this perspective! A different take, for sure, from all the talk about sun and warmth!

Anonymous said...

It hasn't rained here in northern WI since June. We got an inch of liquid gold Saturday night! It's too late to do any good for the crops or trees but I sure enjoyed the soothing sound of a nice gentle rain all night.

sandi s said...

Hi Kathy, We have had a lot of rain this summer this summer, here in Alabama. I love rainy days for the same reasons you gave. I feel like nothing needs to be done outside the house. It's great for a cup of tea, a book and quiet. Thanks for the info about the medi

Me and My Stitches said...

You have such a great way with words. Happy that we are getting rain too - hope you have a great rainy day, filled with relaxation, reading and quilting (and everything else that makes you happy!). Happy birthday month!

Mary said...

Rain is good when it is just a soft gentle rain. Not like the Gully washer that I got caught in after my Church yesterday. Hail, rain and wind blowing sideways. Hope you have a very Happy Birthday!

pandchintz said...

Great sentiments.....and I ToTally concur!!! Bring on the rain!

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more .I am now in the fog , rain and cold and even though it is early in the season for that kind of weather here in France , I love it .Lots of sewing, of knitting and reading done .Plus tea and cookies .....Heaven !

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails