Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hexagons for October

It's October, and you will remember that you are making the little Hexagon Flowers quilt from my book The Civil War Sewing Circle this month. So glad mine is finished. Like most of the other quilts this year, the pattern is in the book, with simple, easy-to-follow instructions.
 
 
It's really a sweet quilt. Try making the hexagons using your own favorite fabric if you are  not  a fan of 1800s reproduction prints. They do not have to be appliqued to a dark background like mine either. You can change the setting if you like and make the hexies smaller or larger. Same goes for the quilt.
 
This has been such a fun year - making small quilts and trying new patterns. I'm almost sorry it's winding down, although you may have noticed I slipped a little here and there, now and then. It's a little exhausting trying to keep being inspiring week after week. But I hope many of you have enjoyed it too.
 
Last week when I visited my friend Julia, I had to laugh when I saw her wall of quilts. Her sewing room is really more of a "Kathy Tracy-inspired quilt museum" if you ask me. Most of the small quilts she has displayed are from my patterns. Perhaps she just put them up to make me feel good because she knew I was coming over and then took them down when I left? Nuh-uh. Don't think so. She is truly my biggest fan and it is so nice to know that I have inspired her so much. Nice job on the small quilts. But I'm still waiting to see your Tumbling Blocks and Orange Peel, Julia. . . . LOL.
 
 
 
Julia has worked steadily on making almost all of the quilts in all of my books plus a few from my patterns. Well, she did get a little behind that year she was working on her PhD, LOL but she's now catching up and has some of the tops from The Civil War Sewing Circle finished. Wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of energy and drive? She's a dynamo for sure. Bottle up some of that energy for me!
 
 
 
 
 
Cute quilt, Julia, and, even though it's adorable, this doesn't count as your Tumbling Blocks quilt. You didn't fool me. I know it's a preprinted panel.
 
I hope Julia and I have inspired you all to continue on with your plan to make 12 small quilts this year so you too can have a wall of small quilts. Only 2 quilts left after this one! What WILL we do next??  You can find a list of all of the quilts we've done this year in the Files section of my yahoo group. Or, just go to the archives on the blog (right sidebar) beginning in January 2012.
 

11 comments:

Darlene D said...

Wow, your little quilts look wonderful! Just discovered your blog recently, wish I had been dropping by when you started this challenge! Great idea!

Anna said...

What do you mean??? I am your biggest fan! I am building a house where the stairs leading to my sewing room are going to display little quilts AND I am going to be starting my hexagons this month!!! lol

Kindred Quilts said...

Julia's sewing room... to die for! I had to look twice at the Tumbling Block preprinted fabric... and I was stuck on the Singer that's sitting on top of it! Thanks for sharing, Kathleen!

Lois McCoy said...

how does she keep her sewing room so CLEAN?????? ack ......
but the quilts are BEAUTIFUL!

Quilteuse Forever said...

Little quilts are the best wall decoration! But Julia is not the only one fan you have dear Kathy!
Katell

Leeanne said...

Very cute, how do you hang those little quilts to the wall?

Rosa said...

Julia`s sewing room is absolutely fabulous,love,love!!

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Julia's quilts are wonderful!! Even the cheater fabric one! LOL I'm glad the two of you can still get together at times. Nothing like a good frind that loves the same things you do!! Karen/IL.

Anonymous said...

Kathy you are an inspiration as a friend and also as a creative and talented quilt designer!!! It is so fun to sew in a room surrounded with colorful quilts.
Leanne, I used those double stick command tapes that won't ruin the wall. They are amazing.
Julia

Val said...

Great quilts Kathy and Julia, you are an inspiration to us all.

I am back sewing again finally after a long break and think that the hexagons are calling me and calling me. I may just 'miniaturize' them if that is OK?

Maureen said...

What a great display! I have made several of those, but not all of them.
I am working on hexigons, but unfortunately not for the October quilt. Maybe soon. I have completed two of this year's quilts and two are ready to quilt, sure need to catch up!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails