Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What's for Dinner?

I got busy yesterday afternoon with laundry and cleaning out some drawers and all of a sudden I realized it was dinnertime so I fell back on a quick summer supper recipe that everyone in our house loves - Corn Fritters!


Served on a beautiful blue and white platter, of course

We don't eat these every day and when I came across a recipe in a magazine for Corn Griddle Cakes, earlier that morning it reminded me that I hadn't made these fritters in awhile. We love potato pancakes too (and zucchini pancakes, my specialty) but this is much quicker. I cannot remember where I got this recipe and have altered it a bit from the original -

Ingredients

3 cups oil for frying   (This is crazy. Maybe it's Paula Deen's recipe, LOL. I used a LOT LOT less - a couple of Tablespoons total)

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1  teaspoon baking powder
1/4  teaspoon salt
1/2  teaspoon sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon oil
1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn (low-sodium), drained (or, 1 cup frozen corn, cooked in microwave for 2-3 min first)

Directions        
  1. Heat oil in frying pan. (I use as little as possible, then add more if needed.)
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Beat the egg, milk, and oil together. Stir into flour mixture. Add the drained corn kernels.
  3. Drop the batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil, and fry on medium heat until golden, a couple of minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. 

DO NOT make the mistake of  spooning that last fritter into the pan and then walking away to get your camera to shoot the ones that are done, LOL. They burn easily.


I always serve these with applesauce and a yogurt-Ranch dressing on the side. And often a big crunchy Spinach salad like the one I posted here on my blog last year. 


Special Sauce: 2 T of low-fat Ranch dressing mixed with 3/4 cup of plain yogurt. (This is also my standby plain and healthy chip dip.)

Of course, the fritters taste great with maple syrup drizzled on top too. If you're still hungry, why, grill up some of those turkey burgers as well.

I know I have a right-click thingy on my blog but see my website  for the Corn Fritters recipe you can download in a .pdf file.

              

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe Kathy! These really look yummy. I have a big zucchini that I will have to try this with. Karen/IL.

Judith said...

Yum! Kathy, you are so sweet to share....Judith, Texas

Rosa said...

Thanks for the recipe sounds delicious.I`ll try this!!

Jocelyn said...

My Mom used to make these. They were so good. We had them at a restaurant recently and they dusted them with powdered sugar.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Ooh, that sounds wonderful. I'll have to try that.

Leeanne said...

Corn fritters were something I often made my hungry kids for a weekend lunch, we would sit on the deck & dip the fritters in tomato sauce....Yum! Of course the dog & cats were on the look out for dropped bits!

Betty Lou said...

Yummy-----what time is dinner? Oh darn, that was last night, guess I'll have to make my own.

Susan said...

Oh gosh...my grandma used to make corn fritters and they were SO good! I think I'm going to have to try your recipe...I haven't had them in years!

Gina said...

Your dishes always look so good, you set such a pretty table.

Sarah said...

I use a slightly different recipe but yours looks yummy too. I do open hearth cooking at our county fair, made the fritters and a rustic tomato sauce (crushed & halved cherry tomatoes, a little chicken broth, herbs and cinnamon). Devine!

Kathleen Tracy said...

That sounds really good too!

trish said...

Oh how delicious!! :o)
ps. I have your books
in my wish list with
Amazon. :o)

Sue said...

Yum!! Tracy I love Corn Fritters. Thanks for posting your recipe. Will have to make some for dinner tonight.:-)

cityquilter grace said...

how spooky is this? just today i made my 2nd batch of corn fritters from ears of corn from the local farmstand, of course, and a batch of zucchini pancakes, also from the farmstand. these are a couple of my summer recipes...and oh so good! great minds think alike it seems!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails