Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rainy Days, Good News and Jane

It poured this morning and is supposed to rain for the next few days and now our backyard is sort of a big puddle in the back. But everything is getting greener and greener and greener and buds are beginning to appear on the trees and shrubs. 



Don't you love the smell of wet earth? 
  



The rain makes me want to stay inside and quilt, but that's not what everyone else around here wants to do, so right after I walk the dogs I'll get some sewing in. I think I'm not the only one who's anxious for Spring . . .




You never know what you'll find in a puddle if you get really really close . . .


C'mon, Mom--hurry up already! (I've lost all my own "puppy" energy.)

So now I'm finally getting back to making a few more blocks for the Dear Jane quilt I started this year. I think I'll make an easy one today. The pieces are already cut out. Sometimes I spend time just preparing the blocks and then they're ready whenever I'm ready.


Some of the blocks are hand pieced, some are machine pieced, and guess what? I made one yesterday using foundation paper piecing. Good for me! I've always dreaded the thought, but I needed to learn. I'm thinking once I get it down it'll make many of the blocks a lot easier. I think I need to make a few before I get the hang of it. Right after I make some more easy ones, LOL.


I have to say, I'm loving the Dear Jane software by EQ. It makes it really EASY to make some of the blocks instead of tracing them from the book. I love easy. You can print out the foundation patterns or the rotary cutting directions for some of the more straight-forward blocks. Can you tell I'm trying to encourage everyone to make this quilt?? So much fun, can't tell you. I'm up to 18 finished ones already.






I'll be using these fabrics today:

You know I love red and blue . . .


With Dear Jane I don't need to go out and buy more fabric, my "old" scraps will do just fine, thank you very much.

*  *  This just in:  *  *

                        

 Picked up the mail today after our walk and guess what:  Remembering Adelia is now in its 4th printing!! What a nice surprise. I have all of you to thank for this--I knew you'd like her.

                                 

I was just thinking about Adelia today too--and the day in 1861 it rained so much the carriages couldn't get through the mud on the roads and the girls couldn't get to the depot to see the soldiers off.

                            

Thank you for liking it! (I promise I won't go into a Sally Field moment here. . . but I'm close.)

8 comments:

Jan said...

Thank YOU for writing Remembering Adelia! I love this book!

I have DJ on my list and you are making it very hard not to get started! I am so glad to hear some feed back on the software. It sounds worth the purchase. I will keep that in mind.

I enjoyed seeing the photos of your yard and your walk. :)

Ingrid said...

What great news about the 4th printing of Remembering Adelia! Is anything known about the whereabouts of her descendants? I think they would be so pleased about the book!

Kathleen Tracy said...

As far as I know, the person that donated the diary to the historical society is sort of family but "removed." Two of Adelia's daughters never married so I guess there isn't much family left.

Meredith said...

I do own a copy of your book, glad to hear about the good news. I have the DJ book, EQ software and only a DJ wall hanging to show for it. I got tired of trying back ground fabrics. Do you mind sharing what you are using with us? Yours is moving along.

Kathleen Tracy said...

Meredith--I am using all different shirtings or light print backgrounds for my blocks. Many quilters use plain muslin for their backgrounds. I think mine will turn out a little more scrappy and I hope I like it in the end. Question--will there be an end?? Check back when I'm ninety and see if I'm finished yet. Maybe my kids will finish it for me!

Joanne said...

Congratulations on the 4th printing of your book!!
Being 90 before I finish a DJ is what is stopping me from doing one, but I sure love them - maybe one day!!!!?? ♥

Kathleen Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frances Leate said...

Hi Kathleen I have all your books and really enjoy them. Congratulations on the 4th printing of "Remembering Adelia".

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails