Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Turn on the Creativity



 The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.


                                    

For years now, I noticed that I feel calmer, happier and just plain better when I'm creating something. When life gets stressful, it's even more important to do things that make yourself feel good. Even before I began to quilt the link between feeling good and making things was evident.

                                   I love art and being "crafty" -stamping, card making, scrapbooking, painting, sewing :):

I know from experience that if I stop creating for a time,  it's that much harder to be creative when I get back to it. But sometimes all you have to do is jump in and make a little something and see if you can't get it back.

                   

In order to be creative, you have to create.

This is so simple. In order to be creative, you simply need to make something.


                                            "Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun." A Mary Lou Cook quote to inspire!:

Being creative does not always mean you have to make something BIG. Cooking can be creative. Writing is creative for me. So is playing with beads and making jewelry. Making a card out of lovely paper is creative. Taking photographs is creative. Rearranging your house or sewing space can be creative. Buying a new scarf or wearing your hair differently can be creative. See where I'm going with this? To me, all of these things count as creative efforts and can really get things flowing. For some of us, just looking through our fabric or a magazine gets us inspired again. Doing anything creative allows your creativity to flow better. And, when it does, it feeds your soul.

                                                This is how I feel about my gardening! When I see things grow, bloom, attract butterfly's and bee's, smell good and nourish my family, neighbors and I...MY SOUL IS RESTORED!:

                                                 It seems obvious, but sometimes we need a reminder to refocus our efforts on what truly satisfies us. And an elegant, chalkboard-inspired reminder might be the best kind.:


                                                     Great ideas for tackling procrastination and getting things done! Love this free printable to serve as a reminder!:

For years, I never thought I was creative and I used to wish that I could be as creative as some people. What I did was just play around, it wasn't being creative. When I was 23 a  friend told me: "Of course you're creative. You admire creative people and you love creative things so much - you're just afraid to try anything." I paid attention to that and started looking for small ways to be creative myself and tried not to think or worry so much about failing at what I tried to create. There were some who laughed at my creative efforts. But pretty soon it began to work; the more I tried to be creative, the more creative I became. I now believe creativity is something that can be nurtured and developed in anyone. So if you don't think you're even a little bit creative, I'll just bet you are.

                                                    https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1472880_10151915631318978_2005452464_n.jpg:

I've also learned that if I don't set aside the time and commit to making a little something on a regular basis, I lose some of that creative urge.  It gets pushed down. So, if you delay because you think you don't have enough time, sit down at your sewing machine for just 10 or 15 minutes. Doesn't have to be long. It's amazing how much you can get into something in even a short period of time. If you make one or two  little blocks every day, you'll have a quilt in no time at all. I love making small, simple quilts for this reason - there's such an immediate satisfaction when you can finish a project quickly.




                                      Maya Angelou Creativity Quote

If you're a beginning quilter, try not to be overly critical of yourself and try not to worry too much about what others may think. Not everything you create will be perfect and that's okay. It's the process that's important. Not every quilt I make is fantastic (Oh no! Really?). Sometimes I fail at color or technique. But, believe me - it's a process and a journey and you just have to keep at it. Make a little something today, why don't you?








21 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Great inspirational post, thanks!

audrey said...

Lovely post. Creativity really does have to have to be nurtured in order to grow.:)

Gypsy Quilter said...

Amen sister.

Mary Ann said...

Thank you. This is just what I needed to hear to get my inspiration back.

Ann in PA said...

What a delightful, uplifting post! When we take time to do something creative, it calms the body and soul. You are an inspiration. Blessings!

quiltgrannie said...

My creativity defiantly feeds my soul!! Thanks for the uplifting post Kathy!

Candee said...

I couldn't agree more! Thank you Kathy.

BJ said...

Thanks for the reminder! Beautifully stated, and very timely as we start assembling our lists of 2016 goals.

BJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jocelyn said...

Great quotes! Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful article. I too have felt that I wasn't creative. I had to follow a pattern and do what the pattern instructed. Now I will do what I want and the way I want. I need to sew or stitch every day - it is the best therapy and calms me down.

Christine

gibbyc57@yahoo.com

Robin McGuire said...

Beautifully said,Kathy. Just what I needed to hear today.

Robin McGuire said...

Beautifully said,Kathy. Just what I needed to hear today.

Rosemary said...

It seems your timing was perfect for so many of us. This is just what I needed to get started. Creating something .. quilting, sewing, painting, etc.) has helped me make it through difficult times. Thank you for the reminder. Have not been able to jump-start myself lately. I needed this!!

Jennifer M said...

You got it Kathy! Sounds like perfect timing for so many of us:) With all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, I am ready to slow down and create<3 So much more enjoyable when I can slow down and treasure every moment of it. Thank you for your ongoing inspiration and uplifting message. A hug to you friend:)))

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, what a great post to get us all started in 2016. You are inspirational! Just love the little cross blocks you posted. I think I must have missed something between December and the new year. Seems like I saw a photo of scrappy strips in December, telling us to get ready, and you were going to clue us in after the new year?

cozykoza32a@gmail.com said...

You are right. Thanks for the reminder.
I'm starting a gratitude diary and today
the good in me is grateful for your message.

Kathleen Mary
https://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Perfectly stated!! And something we should all remember, no matter where we are in our quilting journey!

Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

You're so right. The moment you start making something the energy begins to flow and the ideas too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I expect that applies to a lot of things. I love your quote collection.

ruthie said...

You are so right! Thanks for sharing. Just a few minutes sewing makes me happy and ready to tackle other things needed done.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails